Saturday, January 24, 2009

Shutters, Finally!

Here is one last look at the room redo that I did for J. Smooth's (8 yrs. old) room.
Burlap curtains



Barn Stars
This one lights up for a "night light".

The two striped barns stars are actually made from an old barn using reclaimed wood. I purchased them at Wrapsody in Hoover.
Antique chair with classic books.



And finally.....the shutters!

I purposely allowed the natural wood to peek through in some places.
The star, if you will remember ,was green. I got it at Kirlands in the green clearance for less than seven dollars. I spray painted it black, then took some copper paint and hit the relief areas to get the bronze look.

My mother bought the burlap coffee beans sacks at an auction. I used one here, and plan to use more (bolster pillow and other shaped pillows). I also used one in another project (to come).
The quilt was from a lead from Cherry Hill Cottage.

The shelf and plate rack were items that I had put into a giveaway pile. Glad I decided to give them a second look. Big Daddy's paternal grandpa actually made the shelf, his maternal grandpa made the plate rack-that is now holding pictures.
The bed it not what I want.....it was given to us by my MIL. I recently gave away J. Smooth's twin bed (and cursed the very days that I had to change sheets on it. Changing sheets on a bunk bed is not only back breaking, but it can cause ugly thoughts to go through one's head). This is the bed for now, and quite honestly, I am in no hurry to change it, I know that I will eventually come acorss the bed that will fit this space better.
On the right of the bed is an open space. I have plans to use my father's childhood desk in that space. I am going to paint it black and then give it a good sanding and put it in that very spot.
Til then,
This is Smooth's room redo.
Stay tuned...

8 comments:

Mari said...

It turned out so good! I love all the different stars.

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Love all the stars and the shutters make a great headboard! Like the wood grain showing through! This is such a cozy room! Susan

Bama Belle said...

so cute, again blown away by your talent! Had so much fun with you last night my friend, be well.

jennifer said...

Leigh it turned out GORGEOUS! I know you are so tickled. How many times did you just walk into the room to 'behold' it after it was finished? I do that :)

Betty Jo said...

Awesome room! Love the burlap, stars, and that headboard. I've been toying with using shutters as a headboard in my new place, but haven't quite decided yet. xoxo

Jenny G said...

LOVE those stars!

Nicolle said...

That is so cute! You are such a good decorator. I love the stars also. They seem to be a hit!

Kirby3131 said...

The space is just lovely - and the shutters are perfect for that spot! The star looks fab on them, too.