Thursday, January 17, 2008

SNOW! Oh.......

I got carried away when I saw (on the 5:ooPM news) the snow that was falling in north Alabama. "HURRY! GRAB YOUR COATS!" I shouted with urgency as I began to gather stuff together as if the great flood were upon us. "Its Snowing! Lets go!!' I tried to hurry the family along. My husband looked at me with a half smirk, "It's sleeting. Not snowing".
"It is in north Alabama.", I corrected, "I am taking the kids to Mentone, gonna get a cabin, watch the snow fall through the trees....you in?" "No, You go ahead. I have to go into work. I took today off."......
And then I was sucked back into reality. I have two appointments in the morning. It was indeed snowing up there. But would it be completely sane for me to pile my three children into the mini van and climb a frozen mountain in the snow? It was 5:00 PM, rush hour, and I was planning to leave town now? And finally, the dark. I cannot see to drive here very well in the dark, much less unfamiliar territory.
I looked at my children, who were delighted in the fact that they were going to MISS school to enjoy a day in the snow. "We're not going......"
""AH, MOM!" (in unison). If I had known snow were sticking at lunch, I would've been there. My family in Gadsden and Glencoe, Ft Payne, etc. you fail me. No heads up. No nothing. Next time, a phone call so I can act on my absurd spontaneity to skip town in a matter of minutes to "hit the slopes" (LOL).
I just have such fond memories of climbing up a snow covered Travis Drive, in my childhood neighborhood, with a metal garbage can lid under arm, and receiving a push from a fellow neighborhood child. I would spin and slide all the way down the street. I remember my mother making snow ice cream. It was so delicious and unpolluted. I recall de-robing in the family den and hanging my clothes in front of the fire to dry.
Just look here at the faces of me (in white jacket, 3rd from left) and my neighborhood friends. This picture was taken in Hoover, Alabama in approximately 1984.

Where did all that go? Sure, I live in the south, but it did snow at least one good snow every year or two. I have pictures to document. What happened? I just want my children to have such fond memories. I am hopeful to get that in one weekend, if the weather works out right, and go up and book a cabin one weekend and do just that, throw snowballs, make snowmen, and most importantly-watch the smiles on the faces of my children.

2 comments:

Corey Nolen said...

hi leigh. just wanted to say thanks for the support and sending some potential work our way. we TRULY appreciate it!

Corey Nolen said...

hi leigh. just wanted to say thanks for the support and sending some potential work our way. we TRULY appreciate it.