Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Thrifty Thursday #118, Plus a Tablescape

Hi! It's Thrifty Thursday! I am your host, Leigh. Thank you so much for stopping by and additional thanks to those who also participate in Thrifty Thursday! I am most delighted to have you join in..for it's YOU who makes it a "show and tell party". I also participate in Tablescape Thursday the host of that fun carnival is the Hostess with the Mostess...Susan of Between Naps on the Backporch. That's no lie or exaggeration, each week I visit Susan's porch and just long to be a guest at any of her tablescapes...especially those held on the porch.
(You can click on any pictures for a closer view)

*Thrifty Thursday takes place each Thursday and is hosted here at Tales from Bloggeritaville, but the party is a progressive one, visit the links to see all the Thrifty Thursday links to see the thrifty treasures participating bloggers have to share.

*Don't forget to copy and paste the Thrifty Thursday logo button to your computer so you can add it to your side bar and your Thrifty Thursday post. That way visitors will know that your are participating in Thrifty Thursday.












I have a thing for old doors, windows and beds. I like the solidity of them. They make a statement.
It is so sad for me to go into an antique store or a thrift store and see those once loved beds (and doors) stacked up against a wall.
Unloved.
All those unloved beds, there is possibility and promise out there. You just have to look beyond the ugly. Beyond the scratches, the bad paint jobs and ugly decals. Those things can be sanded down, painted over or removed. Think out of the box.

Have you ever seen a bed bench? It's an actual bench made from a unloved, or even a dearly loved bed. The same can easily be made with an old door.



It is really isn't difficult, if you know a thing of two about using a powersaw and screwdriver.
Both of which I have no skill at so I am looking for a good carpenter. Know one you can loan me?
Years ago I inherited my mother's bed that she had when she was a little girl. It currently sits in my basement, awaiting to properly be loved once again.
I would LOVE to repurpose it into a bench for my mother.
Want to try making a bench too? Here are the basic instructions.

Bench from a Bed Instructions
1.Find yourself a bed (headboard and footboard)


2.Cut the FOOTBOARD in half
3.Screw one of the headboard pieces to the side of the footboard.
4.Repeat with the next piece of headboard, afixing to the other side.
5.use a side rail if you have it. If not try using a 1x 6 piece of wood. Screw to the front of the footboard pieces. This will form the seat. It should be about 14-17 inches from the floor. (Depending on your size of bed, and the height of the person)
6.Take a 1x4 and screw it into the back of the 1x 6. Then take another 1x4 and screw near the bottom of the headboard. These two boards should line up together. These will hold the slating for the seat. Be sure to use a level. No one wants a slanted seat!
7.For the seat, cut 1x4 slats like the ones you used on the bottom of the bed...or you can cut a solid piece of plywood and use that to make a cushion by stapling batting and foam to the plywood. Or...purchase a cushion.



On Friday I plan to feature some of my Thrifty Thursday contributors, so be certain to drop by on Friday! It is all of YOU who make THIS a PARTY!!!!!

Now, onto to Tablescape Thursday, which is hosted by Susan of Between Naps on the Porch.




                  All of these products can be found at  AT HOME  in Homewood, Alabama.

What is a tablescape without the food? I invite you to stop by my food blog, PLATES & PLACES, tomorrow for Foodie Friday!

Thanks to all of you for stopping by and participating in today's Thrifty Thursday. Please use Mr. Linky below to link up your blog.

I encourage you all to spread the love and visit the other thrifty Thursday participants, for that's what half the fun is. Aside from seeing a cool treasure it's making friends!
You can always visit me on FACEBOOK,

I love me some friends: be they new friends or old friends!
XOXO
LIVE*LOVE*LAUGH
LEIGH



Thrifty Thursday Participants:

17 comments:

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Thank you for hosting, sweetie, but I have a problem entering your party. Maybe cause I don't have your button on my sideboard...yeah, I'm not computer savvy, but I'm going to see my daughters and they will fix that for me!! Hugs, FABBY

Megan Gunyan said...

Hi Leigh! I love your blog and I always enjoy linking up on Thursdays...I'm having a hard time linking up today and was wondering if you could help me? I'm getting a "you must have a backlink" message and then when it says what the backlink should be, it says "none." I'm confused! I need more computer knowledge. Anyway, any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

I put a link back to your blog, but it won't let me link up. :-( I'll try again in a bit.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Thanks for the great instructions on the bed bench -- I've seen these and always thought they'd be impossible but you make it sound possible! Also, FYI, I have your backlink on my blog but still can upload to the party. Having same problem with a few others who've added the feature.

Melanie Bacom said...

I tried 3 times to participate in Thrifty Thursday. I have a link back to your page, but it still won't accept my entry. Sorry.

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

Love those bed benches. Thanks for sharing.

Melanie Bacom said...

It works great today! Thanks for letting me join your party.

Sylvia said...

Hi Leigh, I like the headboard bench...I usually see a lot of headboards and footboards at the thrift stores but always pass them by. Not anymore!!

Thanks for hosting...
Sylvia

Riel Nason said...

Hi Leigh, It's my first time here, but I'm glad I surfed in. The bed to bench is great! Happy Thrifty Thursday! Riel

Lynn at Cottage and Creek said...

Thanks for hosting this fun party, Leigh. There is an antique headboard at the Salvation Army that I've had my eye on and now I'm really inspired to give making a bench a try. Great post.
~Lynn

Jenilyn said...

Thanks for hosting the Linky! I'm your newest follower. Visit me at www.gritsandgiggles.blogspot.com

My submission was the girls dress from a boys shirt...for $2!

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

I wish I had the courage to make a bench from a headboard/footboard. They look so neat!!!

Jeannies Bottle said...

I like posting to your link party...thanks for hosting. I'm hoping you can help me with a blogging question...My stats show that I'm getting traffic, but I hardly get any comments. I don't have 'word confirmation' on comments so that doesn't slow people down. Any suggestions you have are appreciated. Many thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great bench tutorial. I have my grandparents' old bed and this is what I would like to do with it. Now to find a place for a bench....

LYNDA QUINTERO-DAVIDS said...

That's a FANTASTIC idea to repurpose a headboard! Gotta share that for sure!! And thanks for hosting!

xo Lynda

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Thanks for hosting! I had trouble last night, but entered ok today.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The bed bench is fabulous! I've seen some gorgeous headboards that would work well for this project! WOW! ♥