Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Greetings from Florence................................Alabama :)

(I am experiencing some problems uploading pictures on this server. I hope to get this resolved soon, if not...Wednesday.)

Hello to Bloggeritaville....from Florence! I decided to take the kids somewhere "exotic" for a little vacay. So off we were to Florence..........ALABAMA! LOL Yes, coming to you today from Florence, Alabama courtesy of the Muscle Shoals Marriott Hotel. I have never discovered to this region of my state, the north west corner, so felt a little expedition would be a fun outting for both myself and the kids. 
I am sure you have heard of Muscle Shoals....why if you have ever heard the anthem of "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynard Skynard, there is the line in it that says,

"Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers;

And they've been known to pick a song or two.
Lord they get me off so much.
They pick me up when I'm feeling blue
Now how about you?"

Well, there you go!
What is a Swamper you ask? Well, tis true, even in this north part of Alabama we do have some swampy areas, and there are plenty around...gorgeous areas. But the swampers referred to in the song is actually a musical group that hails from this region.

You might also know that Muscle Shoals is very rich and diverse in muscial history and houses quite a few music recording companies. Songs like: Aretha Franklin/Respect, Carrie Underwood's/Before He Cheats, Persey Sledge/When a Man Loves A Woman, or the Rolling Stones/Brown Sugar.....the common thread here: all have either been recorded in the Shoals studios or with musicians from the Shoals. It's an interesting little tidbit, you can now arm yourself in the knowledge of learning a bit of musical history. Stand proud, my friend! You'z smart!
But not only is the musical history rich and diverse, so is the culture. I have much planned so I hope you will join me this week on the "tour of Florence". But before I go, I thought I would share a few pictures the Muscle Shoals Marriott. It's a beautiful place...Set in the Tennessee River Valley, this Florence, Alabama golf resort is an experience of refinement and charm. But my children....they just care about the pool.

Enjoy your day today!
I hope you will join me back here tomorrow!
Marriot Muscle Shoals800 Cox Creek Parkway South

Florence, AL 35630
1 256-246-3600

.

1 comment:

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Great area and soooo much to do!! I graduated from UNA!! Don't forget to check out Helen Keller's home in Tuscumbia!!