Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Thrifty Thursday #66, Plus a Tablescape

Hi! It's Thrifty Thursday! I am your host, Leigh. Thank you so much for stopping by and additional thanks to those who also participate in Thrifty Thursday! I am most delighted to have you join in..for it's YOU who makes it a "show and tell party".

(You can click on any pictures for a closer view)

*Thrifty Thursday takes place each Thursday and is hosted here at Tales from Bloggeritaville, but the party is a progressive one, visit the links to see all the Thrifty Thursday links to see the thrifty treasures participating bloggers have to share.

*Don't forget to copy and paste the Thrifty Thursday logo button to your computer so you can add it to your side bar and your Thrifty Thursday post. That way visitors will know that your are participating in Thrifty Thursday.











Today my friend Janet and I hit the road and headed to Harpersville, where my friend Deborah has just opened up a new "junque" store called Harvest Moon. We haven't seen Deborah in quite awhile so it was great to be able to spend some time together. Janet and I got our hands dirty and got right to arranging things in her shop, organizing and throwing out old merchandise. In doing that I came across a beautiful bluish green vase (with clematis flowers, no less) and turned it over to take a look at the bottom:

It was indeed a Roseville piece. I loved the color and asked my friend how much it was..."$5.00", she answered. "Deborah, I think this is worth well more than that price, are you sure?" She assured me that was all she wanted for it. When I got home this afternoon I looked it up online, at auction it is worth about $70.00.  I was happy. I will eventually sell it, but not bad for a little digging today. LOVE it, and the colors....my fav. And clematissssss-meant to be. Maybe I should keep it. :) Somethings are just meant to be, huh?
For information on the history of Roseville Pottery click here.

What treasures did you find this week?
**************************
Tablescape Thursday
Now, onto to Tablescape Thursday, which is hosted by Susan of Between Naps on the Porch.

I also participate in Tablescape Thursday on Thursdays in addition to Thrifty Thursday.  The host of that fun carnival is the Hostess with the Mostess...Susan of Between Naps on the Backporch. That's no lie or exaggeration, each week I visit Susan's porch and just long to be a guest at any of her tablescapes...especially those held on the porch.

Today and in the coming weeks I thought I would feature some tablescapes from landmarks in my hometown/city (metro) of Birmingham, Alabama. The photos are part of a cookbook called "Table of Contents" a cookbook by the Junior League of Birmingham. If you are interested in  purchasing a cookbook you can find more info online at their website: http://www.jlbonline.com/
Today's tablescape comes to you from one of Birmingham's most recognizable landmarks, Vulcan. Birmingham is known as the iron city for the industry long ago, and Vulcan was constructed from some of that iron.


The dishes are fiesta.

Join me on Friday for Foodie Friday at Plates and Places, where I will be dishing up some great dishes and recipes!

**Be sure to enter the giveaway for a $60.00 gift card to CSN Stores (shop online)  . For all the info and  to enter, click here.**

Are you missing post about my Family Circus?  Big Daddy is still tolerating my antics. You can find family post at Picture a day.


Thanks to all of you for stopping by and participating in today's Thrifty Thursday.

Please use Mr. Linky below to link up your blog. Please leave a comment after linking. I love to hear from you.I encourage you all to spread the love and visit the other thrifty Thursday participants, for that's what half the fun is. Aside from seeing a cool treasure it's making friends!
Thank you, all, FRIENDS! I appreciate YOU!
Thrifty Participants:

34 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Pretty vase! Good diggin!!

Vintage Remixed said...

Hello Ms. Lady!! I thought I would join the party. I don't think I have participated in this party!! Looking forward to it. Thanks for having me and hosting this fun party. Have a great week!!

Allie and Pattie said...

Oh my gosh! Lucky you!! The Roseville is wonderful and I love the table!
xoxo Pattie

Heidi said...

Hi Leigh!
Well, you sure scored with that Roseville vase. And it's so pretty, I love the colors on it!
Thanks for sharing the cookbook with us, it sounds like a good one! I appreciate you, thanks for hosting us every week!
XO
Heidi- Heart and Home

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Wow - you did get a good deal.

Betsy Escandon said...

Wow, you always find amazing stuff. I love thrift shopping, but I don't have the eye to find a Roseville vase. It's gorgeous.

Debbiedoos said...

I linked the wrong one, number 17 is not right, I am doing it again....so sorry!

Debbiedoos said...

I have that roseville piece, same exact color and flower...just shaped a little different...and I actually think it is worth more...but hey 5.00 you did good either way. I am linking up to your party....I have one starting Saturdays....thanks for hosting.

Kim said...

Hey Leigh! I'm glad to be joinin' your party this week! Love your finds!
xoxo,
Kim

Unknown said...

Hey, nice tunes!! Always glad to visit your site and join the Link Party!!

Ann said...

Hi Leigh~That is definitely a great deal on the Roseville vase. It sure is pretty...I'd have a hard time selling that one. :)
Fondly,
Ann
@
The Tattered Tassel

Jane said...

Hi Leigh,
What a great buy on that beautiful vase! You have a good eye!!
I'm so happy to be linking up to TT tonight. Thanks again for hosting.
Jane

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Hi Leigh!

What a great find in that vase! The colors and flower choice are wonderful.

the tablescape is so fun. to have landmarks in a tablescape is just a great idea!

Sharon@keeninspirations said...

What an awesome find! I'm new to your blog and this is my first time linking up!
Thanks for hosting!! I am your newest follower!
Sharon

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Now you know how much I love that tablescape. It's SO neat, Leigh! Just love it! And I love your thrifty finds, too.

Happy Tablescape Thursday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Laurie in SC said...

Thanks for sharing your treasures and for hosting your wonderful party!

Swampgirl said...

I love the vase! I have such a hard time parting with my junk/treasure that it would have to be a keeper. Check out my memo board this week, it think you will recognize the burlap! PS "We" made the high school wrestling team....practice starts the 1st week of JUNE!!!!

Kathy said...

Wow! love the vase!
coming via Tablescape Thursday - bookmarking for your party! Thinking of recent event :)!
thanks,
Kathy

Decor To Adore said...

Hi Leigh,

What a great piece you found.

Thank you very much for hosting such as great party.

I hope that you will stop by and enter my giveaway.

NoDebtMomma said...

Thanks for the linky!

Sam
http://momundecided.blogspot.com/2010/05/thursday-page.html

Unknown said...

What a great find! And thanks for hosting a great party!

Marigene said...

Gorgeous vase, Leigh...sure couldn't pass it up for $5!

Cass @ That Old House said...

Love the vase...what a buy! I am wondering if you will really be able to part with it. It's so neat.

Gorgeous plate of waffles. Now I'm getting hungry.
Cass

~Robin~ said...

Nice find! I find that Roseville made some items with questionable prettiness LOL This one I like!

Unknown said...

I normally only DO posts on vintage and crafts but this week is different. I hope that's ok! Your Roseville is die for! We don't see a lot of quality pottery in Arizona.

Jane said...

What a find! and for only $5...WOW!

Smiles,
Jane (artfully graced)

A 2 Z said...

Congratulations on that lucky 5$ investment! You have a good eye. Thanks for sharing. I'm a new followr!

Anne-Marie

Veronica said...

Love your blog. You got a great deal on the Roseville piece. I use to collect it years ago. When I sold my pieces about 8 years ago they went for over $100.000 per piece.

Unknown said...

Great thrifty score!! Love the tablescape too :)

Blessings!
Gail

Laura said...

Haven't commented in a while, but wanted you to know I'm still a daily reader :-)

Miss ya, girl - we need to go shopping next week!

Laura said...

PS - check out Ultimate DIY #43. God bless Laura for the determination to see her dreams come true!

Justabeachkat said...

I remember visiting the Vulcan when I was a little girl...and very afraid of heights. LOL The photo brought back some sweet (and scary) memories.

Speaking of photos...
Stop by...the wedding photos are posted. Oh.My.Gosh! Pure magic!

Hugs!
Kat

LindseyRockers said...

oops i meant thanks for hosting... it's been a long day!

LindseyRockers said...

thanks for following!