Friday, March 21, 2008

Family Expressions

  • Jennifer at Dustbunny Hostage (one of my newest most visited blogs) and Jenn at http://jennstamps.blogspot.com/2008/03/fun-monday-my-late-st-paddys-day.html had this little meme going on:

    1.) I don't know about you, but my family is great at creating strange words that only we know the meaning. Some were created when the kids were first learning to talk, others came about when our tongues were twisted and the word came out funny. Either way, the words stuck and we still use them in our daily conversations. What created words does your family use?! Please share the story behind the word if you remember. If you don't have a made up word then tell us about the unspoken way you communicate with someone. Do you and your significant other have a look that means "This party is boring, lets split" or do you have a look that your kids know means their butt is in serious trouble? Please share!! And a picture of the look would be very entertaining!

    Ours are mostly expressions from shows or songs,etc. But I will try and think of some:
  • "Gotta drain": I need to pee
  • "my tailhole is drawed up": Honey, your driving to fast
  • "jiggity jig":Glad to be home.
  • "Muh":air kiss over the phone or in person
  • "MTA": in our family we have always told one another, "I love you more than anything. Now it is just shortened to MTA.
  • My Son, J Smooth shares his daddy's love of Chinese food takeout. When he comes in from getting take out, preparing to eat, JSmooth always ask me, "Mama, Where is the soil sauce?" (soy sauce)
  • "Hoyk": It is the nasty sound that most often guys make (and some women with no manners) when couging up (I cannot say the actual word, it makes me want to hoyk so I will say...) a hairball.
  • "Serenity Now": Taken from Seinfeld, it is what either I or Big Daddy start shouting when the kids (or one another, LOL) are pushing us over the edge. It means, "I need a break or someone might get hurt". LOL!
  • After the blessing of a meal or at bedtime prayers, my two youngest children (ages 10 and 7) always, without fail, close the prayer with, "And God, please take care of Tesla". Tesla was my beloved dog I had for years. My youngest never knew her, but I think he thinks he does because we still talk about her like a family member. And she was to me and the rest of the family. They always ask that God to take care of Tesla "until we can get there". To read more on Tesla and how she impacted our lives go here: http://lbratina.blogspot.com/2007/07/in-memory-of-tesla.html

1 comment:

j said...

I love your sayings!! The MTA sounds like us but it always ends with son saying God loves us the most! We also say the poem "I love you little, I love you Big, I love you like a little pig!

Thanks for the Link Love!

Jennifer