Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Vulcan, a nice view from the top?

(Photo by Leigh )
If you are looking for something to do this weekend, might I suggest a visit to the Iron Man of the Magic City, Vulcan. I recently dragged the kids and both grandmothers on a day trip to Vulcan. It had been years since I had been up to the park. My youngest two children had never been or knew about it. Before I left the house, I had done some research on the Internet and found some information we used in a scavenger hunt. If you go, all the research will not be necessary, inside the museum office there are the same scavenger hunt sheets-and they are free (as is the museum itself). It makes the visit much for interesting, especially for younger children.
After the museum trip we decided to take the elevator trip to the top. There was a nominal fee, but it goes back into the park and I wanted my children to have the experience. It was against my better judgement for me to go to the top, for I have a great fear of heights, but I purchased a ticket too. The glass elevator allows great views of Homewood and upon arriving at the top there is a scaffolding see through walkway. I took a quick look up-yep, after a recent restoration Vulcan is looking great. But that was all I could tolerate, I needed to get down on stable ground and quickly. The elevator was not my first choice to get to the top and the ride up was a bit worrisome for a person afraid of heights, so I opted for the many flights of stairs to get down. Good excercise, I thought. Upon setting my first foot on the step to descend, I held onto the railing. Big mistake for me, a germophobic! It was totally out of character for me to touch the railing but because of the height I held on. I felt something wet, I looked down and under my hand was a great big luggie. I began to heave and heave loudly, it was uncontrolable. My eyes teared up and I was about to loose my lunch. I went back outside for fresh air, and realized I again was one with the clouds. Still I was heaving loudly, unable to control the flexing of my stomach. People below were looking, people on the scaffolding were looking. My mother laughed. The elevator door opened and I jumped inside...and prayed that I wouldn't puke in there. Fortunately I made it down and raced into the bathroom and washed my hands and gobbed on the disinfectant gel. This experience is certainly not one that you would not probably have should you visit, but it is one that people with a sick sense of humor like me might appreciate.
Soon after, my mother returned with my children who did take the stairs down. My youngest thought it was funny that Vulcan's butt showed. I remember as a child thinking the same thing. Funny how life it like that. We ended the day with a fabulous look out over the city of Birmingham. What a great view this "man", Vulcan has. I must say, I do miss the lighted torch. It is now housed inthe museum. I recall being a child and coming into town from relatives houses. I could spot the torch and know I was back in Birmingham, close to home. I also recall noticing if the light was red or green, if red I would say a prayer for the person who had died in a car accident in the area (green was "all well"). I also remember on Thanksgivings me and my teenage cousin leaving the scene and going cruising, we would almost always end up at Vulcan. I have so many memories affiliated with that statue. I hope that my introduction will give my children some fond memories. Perhaps years from now, they will visit Vulcan and share the story of how their mom almost lost her lunch at the top. Perhaps.....

1 comment:

Hewy Nosleep said...

I really love our Vulcan! I always wanted to see a japanese like show where vulcan comes to life to fight monsters in Bham.