Saturday, September 15, 2007

Roller Derby Women Rule!



OK, clearly I have gone mad, but tonight as I sat at a table in a local Mexican restaurant I had a vision. I want to start a roller derby team. No, it wasn't the margarita's talking-I didn't even have one. It was the thought of being 13 again, on the rink going round and round, in control at a high rate of speed. Remember the thrill? What happened to the art of roller skating? Sure I am NOT 13, but I think with age comes confidence. Sometimes age brings you the realization to know the difference between confidence and cockiness, but for some reason I am dead serious in wanting to start a team. My kids and husband think I have gone mad. Think about it, a bunch of middle aged women, now with enough confidence in themselves and the ability to be able to take care of business -and skate while doing it.
I have already recruited 2 other ladies besides myself. If you are interested in joining the team (and are able to drive to Birmingham) Let me know. I also need a really cool derby name. I adore Jim Croce and he sang about a "Roller Derby Queen" named Spike. I don't know that I fit "Spike's" profile though. So...if you have a good name, or want to join the team-please let me know!

For more information on Roller Derby Rules, etc. Check out these cool links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_Derby
http://www.dixiederbygirls.com/index.htm

7 comments:

Hewy Nosleep said...

I sooo want a Dixie Derby shirt now!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I know! ME too-only I think "ours" will be better! (smile)

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I am considering sledgehammer for my name...
what do ya think?

Anonymous said...

I HAVE YOUR ROLLER DERBY NAME: “THE GERM” LOL HA HA!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

HAHA, the germ, thats good-No one would want to catch you!

Anonymous said...

It sounds really fun and I would sooo love to do it, but I don’t think my neck could handle it! I can’t afford to be out of commission…if you know what I mean. I wouldn’t mind being on the sidelines though!!! LOL



JC

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

You know me too well-The germ, I actually like it alot!