Monday, September 17, 2007

Endometrial Ablation-not for the faint of heart, or men.

OK, men forgive me, but today I am rambling about a procedure called Endometrial ablation. Certainly nothing is off limits with me , and I feel that in discussing this women like me will not have to go on in pain. Endometrial ablation is a quick, outpatient procedure that gently removes the endometrial lining of the uterus (called the ‘endometrium’) to control bleeding. The endometrial lining of the uterus is shed monthly during your period. Removing the endometrial lining decreases menstrual blood flow, and in many cases, stops it completely. The most popular form of endometrial ablation is The NovaSure Procedure, which has demonstrated excellent success. I am going to have this procedure done after October. What once was "normal" and virtually non symptomatic to me is no more. Every month the symptoms I experience leaves me almost unable to function. Certainly I cannot function as I would at any other time of the month. I am really looking forward to getting my life back.
The endometrial ablation procedure can be done either in an outpatient surgicenter, or in the doctor’s office. There are few side effects, and women generally return to work and other normal activities the next day. I am elated to know that the only options for me are not hormones or a hysterectomy. An advance in women's health, the ablation is completed in about 90 seconds of energy delivery by and only needs to be performed once to lighten or stop your periods. Without the side effects of hormones or the risks of hysterectomy, NovaSure is a minor procedure, with a quick recovery time so you can go on with your life sooner.
The procedure is for premenopausal women for whom childbearing is complete-that is me. If you do not plan to have children in the future, you may want to consider endometrial ablation. In a small percentage of patients, side effects included cramping, nausea/vomiting, discharge, and spotting. But many of these side affects is what I am experiencing now, so to experience this one last time to me is a blessing. This procedure is covered by my insurance.
So....in the coming months, after my procedure, I will give my honest account of how my experience went. I plan to have a new outlook on every month, instead of a week a month of dread and sickness. This surgical procedure is one I am looking forward to-to get my life back.

http://www.novasure.com/

No comments: