Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Thrifty Thursday #122, Plus a Tablescape

Hi! It's Thrifty Thursday! I am your host, Leigh. Thank you so much for stopping by and additional thanks to those who also participate in Thrifty Thursday! I am most delighted to have you join in..for it's YOU who makes it a "show and tell party". I also participate in Tablescape Thursday the host of that fun carnival is the Hostess with the Mostess...Susan of Between Naps on the Backporch. That's no lie or exaggeration, each week I visit Susan's porch and just long to be a guest at any of her tablescapes...especially those held on the porch.

*If you do not know what Thrifty Thursday is or need more info on Thrifty Thursday you can go here.

*Don't forget to copy and paste the Thrifty Thursday logo button to your computer so you can add it to your side bar and your Thrifty Thursday post. That way visitors will know that your are participating in Thrifty Thursday.
 
Onto Thirfty Thursday....
Thrifting isn't always about what you buy. If I kept all that I bought and didn't ever purge, I would be a horder. And I have seen that show, I don't want my kids lounging on cereal boxes and dead cats. No, thrifting for me is also about reinvention, rethinking a piece other than it's intended purpose, expanding your creativity and thinking outside the box.
Although today, this Thrifty Thursday, I am giving back to my local thrift store. I love decor magazines, almost to much. I went through so many magazines last weekend and am ready to donate them back to my Thrift. Before I did though, I combed through the magazines and got final ideas for my decorating notebook. I started mine back in 1993. Of course my taste have changed since then and I have kept some ideas, while I have tossed others. I have my hole punch and binder with plastic pockets to store my inspiration photos.

Today I also have a folder on my computer of inspiration photos taken from many of you. I like to refer back to those pictures and "expand creativity" in my own home. My photo inspiration has come from magazines, homes of friends, open houses, showhouses. Today it includes bloggers beautiful home ideas.
Below are some of my saved ideas from different places that I wanted to share with you. It's ways to repurpose those thrifty things:

Country Living
Sort old postcards and photographs by using a weathered old window frame. Crisscross twine and tuck in  family photos, recipes, postcards and memorabilia.

Frame covers of old tattered books. You can color copy and enlarge pages from the books to use as the mats. Mount on foamboard. Hot glue the book covers to the mat, then frame them using old floor grates as the frames!

Shop thrift stores for a side table that needs sprucing up. Use old vintage wooden rulers to make the tabletop interesting. Use a circular saw for a precise cut and then glue onto the tabletop with wood glue.


Southern Living
I loved this idea that I saw in a recent Southern Living magazine and stole it myself.

country living

I love to use things in my home with a story, I love that sentimentality. I am planning to use a  letter was one that was sent to my Grandmother from my Grandfather. I will take the letter to a photo copy store and have them enlarge the letter on paper.  I purchased a cheap frame at the thrift store for six bucks. Now I will have personalized artwork that pops and has sentiment. Now, That I love!

Going back again those those burlap sacks, I saw this idea on http://www.houzz.com/ and saved it to my idea folder.... Love it!


For my tablescape today I am sharing a green & white tablescape... 







What is a tablescape without the food? I invite you to stop by my food blog, PLATES & PLACES, tomorrow for Foodie Friday!

Thanks to all of you for stopping by and participating in today's Thrifty Thursday. Please use Mr. Linky below to link up your blog.

I encourage you all to spread the love and visit the other thrifty Thursday participants, for that's what half the fun is. Aside from seeing a cool treasure it's making friends!
You can always visit me on FACEBOOK,

I love me some friends: be they new friends or old friends!
XOXO
LIVE*LOVE*LAUGH
LEIGH

Thrifty Participants:

10 comments:

xinex said...

I love the colors of your tablescape, Leigh, so pretty. And thanks for the inspirational photos...Christine

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Joining your party again...thanx

jo said...

I love the shade of your green Jug. The whole table works so well together. lovely warm colours, ummmm. Just what I need now that I am in the debths of winter here in New Zealand! UGH!
Jo

Mary Ann Pickett said...

I love the idea of your sentimental artwork! What could be better!

Deana said...

I joined the party, THANKS :)

the cape on the corner said...

covers of books! that's a fabulous idea! i'm toying with a gallery wall, so this was perfect inspiration.

Coley said...

gorgeous finds! Thanks for hosting!

AsylumTanya said...

Thanks for hosting this fun link party! :)

Justabeachkat said...

Love your tablescape!

So many good idea in this post.

Happy weekend hugs sweet friend,
Kat

Entertaining Women said...

The artichoke and pear centerpieces set a beautiful color story. Great tablescape. The rulers on the tabletop is a neat idea. Thank you for sharing it. Cherry Kay