Sunday, June 17, 2012

Black & Blueberry Festival at Petals form the Past

With sunshine above and a *breeze in the air (*unusual for a summer day in the south), Saturday was the perfect day for berry picking! And fortunate for us it was also the day that Petals from the Past was hosting its 10th annual “Black and Blue” Berry Festival !

It's become an annual event for us to attend as well, this being the fifth year that we have consecutively.



Petals from the Past is the type of place you love to get lost in with its gorgeous flora abounding...
 
 
 
 

But today it was all about the berries.
And I brought along some wonderful helpers....
My son "Bama" and his lovely girlfriend, "K", as well as my mother.


It was a first for berry picking at the festival for Bama and K and they seemed to really enjoy it.

The berries were gorgeous!

I sampled as I picked....

Here is my mother, working hard for her berries...
 
 
 
 

I filled my flowing shirt full of berries as I picked. I have come to find that makes for easy pickings. The things you learn from watching those Little House on the Prarie episodes...


While at the fest we ran into our friends High Mae and her family. They were there with  with some of their friends...
 



This year’s mild winter caused blackberries to be two weeks early this year. This means that, while there were some blackberries, they were not be nearly as many as usual. Despite that, I did find some gems...
 


Petals grows there berries BIG...and with NO pesticides!!!!

Though the blackberries may have already run their course, there were still plenty of blueberries to go around.


Petals from the Past owner, Jason Powell is become a friendly face I have come to know. I always ask him what berries are the sweetest of the season. He recommends the premier and the sintilla this season..


My favorite this season, as it has been every other season, the climax blueberry. I decided to pick a mixed variety, but I seemed to lean heavily on the climax.

Here is my friend G with his pickings...


So good, you eat as many as you harvest!


"K"


"High Mae and friends"


Me and my crew of berry pickers...


Bama carrying our harvested berried to our car.


IT was hot!


We also did some shopping around the nursery.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

You see how why I say it's a place you can get lost in and love.
There are so many beautiful plants.
My mother bought this lacy leaf begonia.


The festival will also featured Petals’ U-Pick style harvesting and a black and blue berry recipe contest. Kids enjoyed a petting zoo, pony rides, tractor rides (around property as well as across the street for peach picking!!!) and face painting.
In addition to activities for the kids, there was  great live music by Valley Road Blue Grass, and Dr. Arlie Powell  hosted a discussion on growing berries from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.


As for the berries....
Well there is nothing better than fresh picked fruit or veggies.
I made cobbler....and it didn't even make it to the plate before people started digging in...



You can find the recipe HERE.
 Petals from the Past is open anytime for picking. They have seasonal fruits. You can find out more by visiting Petals from the Past or by calling Petals from the Past at 205-646-0069.

3 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Sounds and looks like you and your family/friends had a fun time. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I remember picking blackberries as a child and mom making cobblers. The ones in the store are not as good now days.:(

Keetha Broyles said...

And no WONDER "K" snapped Bama right up, he's a little hottie!

I love to EAT my berries, but don't want to pick 'em. Hmmmmmm - - - there may be a PROBLEM in that philosophy.

Tracy Bentley said...

I just love Jason and his family. I have been going here for a very long time. Great plants and great people.