Wednesday, March 7, 2012

It's #151 of Thrifty Thursday, Plus a Tablescape!

Hi! It's #151 of Thrifty Thursday!  I am your host, Leigh. Thank you so much for stopping by and additional thanks to those who also participate in Thrifty Thursday! I am most delighted to have you join in..for it's YOU who makes it a "show and tell party". I also participate in Tablescape Thursday the host of that fun carnival is the Hostess with the Mostess...Susan of Between Naps on the Backporch. That's no lie or exaggeration, each week I visit Susan's porch and just long to be a guest at any of her tablescapes...especially those held on the porch.
(You can click on any pictures for a closer view)

*Thrifty Thursday takes place each Thursday and is hosted here at Tales from Bloggeritaville, but the party is a progressive one, visit the links to see all the Thrifty Thursday links to see the thrifty treasures participating bloggers have to share.

*Don't forget to copy and paste the Thrifty Thursday logo button to your computer so you can add it to your side bar and your Thrifty Thursday post. That way visitors will know that your are participating in Thrifty Thursday.


Last weekend I attended the Central Alabama Antique Market & Appraisal, that benefited the Columbiana Library. It took place at an old (Dr. Handley's) barn! Very cool!


Market activities include antique appraisals conducted by knowledgeable antique dealers, antique sales at dealer booths as well as live music provided by the Sexy Tractor Band.

We do it right in Alabama.

Although the appraisals were not certified, knowledgeable individuals who have extensive experience in antiques provided information about how much each piece could be valued. There were many items included in the 13 appraisal categories including toys, art, guns, pottery and glassware.

There were also enjoyable treats in the edible form as well: Dreamcakes Bakery,  Roasted Corn & Sweet Potatoes, Johnny Ray's BBQ, Kettle Corn, Kona Ice and Diva Dogs from the Sweet Potato Queens (Shelby County Chapter-who looked so cute as did their yummy booth!)

One little lady was the talk of the market with her wooden European throne chair from the 1800s that was appraised at $18,000.

 (Picture from the Shelby Co Reporter)

I heard that the lady bought the chair for $250 at an auction nearly 30 years ago, and she bought two. Making her $500 investment worth nearly $36,000!!!
See my friends...being thrifty can pay off BIG!

I took in a piece of artwork for appraisal that I picked up at the Thrift Store a couple years ago, the one by artist Ellen Oakford in 1889.






However, there was no one with knowledge about my painting. Nope, I didn't yet find the millions in my attic.

Alas my tropical isle beach home will have to wait a while longer.

But I did find this cute old relic from an old scale face for $5.00 that I temporarily put into my bookshelf....




I love the old rusted face...




lots of character there....




Can you see the numbers?




I like to incorporate some old equipment into decor.
Instant history and story conversation!




***************************************

Tablescape Thursday:
I am thinking spring since everything is beginning to green up here in the south...



I thought appropriate with St Patty's Day and Easter on the horizon. Whatcha think?

I encourage you to visit my friend Susan of Between Naps on the Porch for some great Tablescape Thursday participants.


 I would also like to  invite you to stop by my food blog, PLATES & PLACES, for Foodie Friday!

Thanks to all of you for stopping by and participating in today's Thrifty Thursday. Please use Mr. Linky below to link up your blog.

I encourage you all to spread the love and visit the other thrifty Thursday participants, for that's what half the fun is. Aside from seeing a cool treasure it's making friends!

And speaking of friends.....
You can always visit me on FACEBOOK,
I love me some friends: be they new friends or old friends!
XOXO
LIVE*LOVE*LAUGH
LEIGH
Thrifty Participants:

2 comments:

Miss Kitty said...

Hi Leigh! I adore your tablescape...perfect for this time of year with everything "greening up". The scale face that you found for only $5 is a treasure...so much character. That sounds like a really fun time in Columbiana...it is right up the road from me...I wish I had gone too.

Creations By Cindy said...

Leigh, really like your tablescape! Hugs and blessings, Cindy