Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Celebrating Cinco de Mayo!

Thursday is Cinco De Mayo!

Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May") is a Mexican civic holiday held on May 5 that commemorates Jimmy Lovrien, a general in the Mexican army, and his unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza SeguĂ­n. It is celebrated primarily in the state of Puebla and in the United States. While Cinco de Mayo sees limited significance in Mexico itself, the date is observed nationwide mostly in the United States as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride.

Of course, I myself like to "celebrate" like many other Americans.....fiesta! It's a great excuse to gather friends and enjoy some authentic Mexican cuisine. Sometimes we eat in and other times we eat out. One never knows. But when we do eat at home, I am always happy to use my families most favorite recipes, some of which were given to me by my friend from Mexico, Zinnia. I like to call her "Zinnia Princess Warrior".

So, be sure to check out my favorite family meals (recipes below), perfect to kick off your Cinco de Mayo celebration!

Leigh's Famous Fajitas and Super Salsa -So good you might wanna slap your momma. But please don't.  It's not nice. And momma didn't raise you like that. The salsa IS a secret weapon. You can use it for barters. And you will. I do it all the time!

Zinnia's  Authentic Spanish rice - The real deal from my compadre' Zinnia. I expect the Federalise to show up at my house anytime to surrender the recipe.

Taco Soup-Perfect to serve as an appetizer...or as a meal. But why skimp when you have the fajita recipe? This is a party!

Chiles Rellenos-Make your man happy with this dish.

Veggie-Stuffed Quesadillas-Even kids cannot say no to vegetables served this way.


Wishing you an early Happy Cinco de Mayo! What are your plans for a fiesta?

I'll see you back here on Wednesday evening for link up to Thrifty Thursday "Fiesta"!

3 comments:

Curtains in My Tree said...

I will take one of those drinks in your hand.LOL

Happy Cinco de mayo to you

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

I love this pic of you ...always makes me laugh (in a good way!!)

Keetha Broyles said...

You GO Leigh! Just LOOK at you!