Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Thrifty Thursday #94, Plus a Tablescape

Hi! It's Thrifty Thursday! I am your host, Leigh. Thank you so much for stopping by and additional thanks to those who also participate in Thrifty Thursday! I am most delighted to have you join in..for it's YOU who makes it a "show and tell party". I also participate in Tablescape Thursday the host of that fun carnival is the Hostess with the Mostess...Susan of Between Naps on the Backporch. That's no lie or exaggeration, each week I visit Susan's porch and just long to be a guest at any of her tablescapes...especially those held on the porch.

(You can click on any pictures for a closer view)

*Thrifty Thursday takes place each Thursday and is hosted here at Tales from Bloggeritaville, but the party is a progressive one, visit the links to see all the Thrifty Thursday links to see the thrifty treasures participating bloggers have to share.

*Don't forget to copy and paste the Thrifty Thursday logo button to your computer so you can add it to your side bar and your Thrifty Thursday post. That way visitors will know that your are participating in Thrifty Thursday.


I hope that you Thrifty Thursday folks saw how I bragged on YOU last week, Here.Here
Thank you for participating each week!!!! Thank you.
Next week, to make it easy.....and a bit different (unless you already have something scheduled) because it will be the week of Christmas, lets share either a favorite Christmas tradition or a favorite Christmas decoration. I will have the link up on early Wednesday afternoon because I know many of you will be going out of town. I want to wish you safe travels and a very Merry Christmas!!!!!

Now onto today's Thrifty Thursday.

I have a couple things to share today in the way of thrifty. The first thrifty idea is a gift idea, I purchased a sweater at the thrift (or use one of yours that you would like to recycle). And with it, I made it into an "endless scarf" for easy, quick and homemade gifts.






















Materials Needed:(2) 100% acrylic, or acrylic blend, sweaters (Avoid 100% cotton sweaters because they tend to unravel.)
rotary cutting blade
cutting mat
scissors
thread and needle or sewing machine

Instructions:
Cut off the bodies of both sweaters just below the arms (save the arms...I have another idea for those). Make sure that both cut panels have the same dimensions by trimming off any excess. Tip: The size of sweaters used will determine the size and length of finished scarf. The larger the sweaters; the larger the finished scarf. Finish cut edges with a decorative hand stitch or with a sewing machine. Perfect gift to give!















But what with the arms of the sweater? I hate to throw those out. How about cutting them into squares and stitching those together for additional scarfs. Or, do what I did. I have a house full of dogs, they are more like fur people. And I thought that they too should be fashionable. So, I cut off the arms of the sweater into four rings and now the puppies had sweater collars, which they loved!



Pretty as a picture!

The second thrifty idea was created at my women's crafty cabin retreat in Mentone. It's my mailbox decor, and it was FREE! The mailbox hanger and greenery foam was given to me by some ladies at the cabin. The greenery was all collected in the woods. The bow was created using ribbon on hand. Wah-la....mailbox greenery.



















Now, onto to Tablescape Thursday, which is hosted by Susan of Between Naps on the Porch.












Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


What is a tablescape without the food? I invite you to stop by my food blog, PLATES & PLACES, tomorrow for Foodie Friday!

Thanks to all of you for stopping by and participating in today's Thrifty Thursday.


Please use Mr. Linky below to link up your blog. Please leave a comment after linking. I love to hear from you.I encourage you all to spread the love and visit the other thrifty Thursday participants, for that's what half the fun is. Aside from seeing a cool treasure it's making friends!

Thank you, all, FRIENDS! I appreciate YOU!
HUGS! Hope to see you tomorrow, but not before you leave some "roadmap" love!

Thrifty Participants:

18 comments:

Swampgirl said...

I love your sweater ideas! When I was in Atlanta at the Country Living Fair I saw some fingerless gloves made from wool sweater sleeves. I found a great thrift store sweater but have not gotton any farther. Maybe in January....but, I NEED them now!!!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Thanks for hosting. Love this thrifty blog party.

Sharon@KeenInspirations said...

Hi Leigh,
Thank you for hosting all these thrifty ideas! I can blog hop while I'm snowed and after tonight, maybe iced in!
Stay Warm!

the cape on the corner said...

how great is that scarf! love it! thanks so much for hosting.

Amanda Lee said...

Hi! This is my first visit and first time I've hooked up at Bloggeritaville Thanks for hosting!
~Amanda

Tiffany said...

Your mailbox greenery looks fantastic! Love the idea of decorating the mailbox! So fun and festive!

Thanks for hosting the party! : )

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

The scarf is such a great idea, and the mail box wreath is stunning. What fabulous ideas. Your tablescape is gorgeous. I love the white and silver and all of your china and accessories are fabulous. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

Your table is gorgeous and the mailbox fantabulous, Leigh!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

I love the dog collars, Leigh! They look so festive and holidayish. Do they have jingle bells attached? LOL

Please be sure to come by and enter my fantastic year-end giveaway. Click the picture in my sidebar for details.

Blessings and a very Merry Christmas!
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Betty said...

Your scarf is lovely, but the sweater collars and the doggies are adorable. Thanks again for hosting the linky party.

GeorgiaBE said...

Love the sweater scarf idea!
I'm being thrifty by sewing my girls dresses this season! One everyday now until Christmas!! :)

Decor To Adore said...

Oh your tablescape makes me feel merry and bright! Love the scarves too.

Seasons greetings to you and yours.

very merry vintage style said...

That sweater idea is great--I love the color mix you used. And your mailbox looks amazing. Very inspiring. It's my first time here and I'm your newest follower!
Mary

Donnie said...

I think your scarf is really cute and I love your tablescape.

Mom24boys said...

Just found your blog...so many great ideas. Linked up to join in the fun too. Thanks so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

I want those glasses. They are just devine! Where can I can I get those?

I'm your newest follower, I'd love for you to show some love and follow me. I love to hear suggestions and encouragement from fellow blog-ettes =)

http://bargaincornerdesigns.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Of course you know my favorite is the dog collars, except for my dogs I will have to use the waistbands!
At a huge craft show earlier this month I saw scarves not as nice as yours going for $20. Sweater recycled gloves go for $15-$22 and hats made from the leftovers are almost as pricey. So why not splurge on a great thrifty sweater for under $7 and get creative!

The decoration on my mailbox right now is a zip tie holding it to the post.

Kelly @ Ruby Begonia said...

I love the sweater scarf, but I don't understand how you made it. Is it 2 sweaters? Maybe I'm just slow... Thanks!