Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Thrifty Thursday #87, plus a Tablescape

Hi! It's Thrifty Thursday! I am your host, Leigh. Thank you so much for stopping by and additional thanks to those who also participate in Thrifty Thursday! I am most delighted to have you join in..for it's YOU who makes it a "show and tell party". I also participate in Tablescape Thursday the host of that fun carnival is the Hostess with the Mostess...Susan of Between Naps on the Backporch. That's no lie or exaggeration, each week I visit Susan's porch and just long to be a guest at any of her tablescapes...especially those held on the porch.

(You can click on any pictures for a closer view)


*Thrifty Thursday takes place each Thursday and is hosted here at Tales from Bloggeritaville, but the party is a progressive one, visit the links to see all the Thrifty Thursday links to see the thrifty treasures participating bloggers have to share.



*Don't forget to copy and paste the Thrifty Thursday logo button to your computer so you can add it to your side bar and your Thrifty Thursday post. That way visitors will know that your are participating in Thrifty Thursday.




This week I seemed to score on clothing. Fall clothing for myself and my children. But I wanted to share with you what I really saved some cash on....this for my daughter, Sister Sledge (13)

Formal Dresses.



As a photographer I photograph alot of formal functions. I am always astonished when I hear high school girls (in particular) mention the cost of their prom dresses. Six hundred, even just short of a thousand for another. I almost choked. I would never. So, when I found some formal dresses at $10.00 each...in classic timeless styles I went for it. I actually own four but these were the 3 I purchased on this day.

One in pink

One in Charcoal, with a grey sash

And finally a black dress

All three for $10 each.

Yes, Sister Sledge IS to young for prom just yet. She has a couple years, but that is why I chose classic designs. She and her friends approved them. Each wanting their turn at a certain dress come that day.

What if she wants something differed before then?  You ask.
Well, I KNOW that I can make at least what I put into the dress on consignment. It's a win win.

Always keep your options open.

Even Big Daddy approved this purchase.

My Tablescape for today is in the theme of autumn:



















This past week has been very busy for me. I have not been able to post on my blog. I have to share with you about Cozumel port of call.....and I have so much more!
SOOOOOO....
Join me next week! Our next port of call: Cozumel, I promise!

Thanks to all of you for stopping by and participating in today's Thrifty Thursday.

I am also linking today to Linda's Coastal Charm.

Please use Mr. Linky below to link up your blog. Please leave a comment after linking. I love to hear from you.I encourage you all to spread the love and visit the other thrifty Thursday participants, for that's what half the fun is. Aside from seeing a cool treasure it's making friends!

Thank you, all, FRIENDS! I appreciate YOU!

HUGS!

Thrifty Thursday participants:

16 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

The dresses are gorgeous, Leigh and a great idea. I am glad your daughter approves. What is nice is that my daughter and her friends traded dresses off and on for the different dances and that saved some money! But you are way ahead of the game.

Love your tablescape...perfect for a fall day like today!

XO,
Janie

Glenda/MidSouth said...

The cost for a junior or senior prom is totally out of control - IMO. You don't want me to get started on that subject! I recently had a conversation with someone about this subject.
The gowns are beautiful and you got them for a great price. They are classics, add a touch of jewelry - perfect.
Thanks for hosting again this week.
Glenda

Natasha in Oz said...

Thanks so much for having me today. I am joining in for the first time! I am so looking forward to checking out all of the links. Great party!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Anonymous said...

How fun that you get to dress up in formals still!! I haven't worn one in ages and I do so love to dress up!! You really got a bargain on those!!

Thanks for the party!!

bee blessed
mary

Nanette said...

Hi Leigh,
I think that is a great idea. I bought 3 formal dresses on sale before my senior year for the dances and it worked out great. Nice autumn tablescape too!
Valerie

Chandy said...

Yay! I got to join in this week! Great post, Leigh! Can't wait to learn more about Cozumel!

Blissful Bargainista said...

Hi... I am your newest follower! Thanks for hostong!

Leanne said...

What an incredible find. Those dresses are beautiful. Thanks for hosting again.

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Very pretty tablescape!! Love it.

Anonymous said...

A great school fundraiser in these parts is a pre prom dress sale. Of course no one wants to wear that dress again so parents can get a tax break by donating them to the school (or other charitable organization or church promoting this event) and they are all drycleaned. Then a huge sale of the dresses is held a couple months before the next formal dance or prom so other girls can buy them (generally under $25) and alter the look a bit so they have a new dress. Or just buy one and wear it to a different school, or buy one of the many bridesmaids dresses that are donated, etc.

DogsMom said...

Oh- just want to remind you of 2 tea parties this weekend. Hope you join in.
http://thewitchwaytocraft.blogspot.com/2010/10/halloween-tea-party.html

I am hoping to find time to get my first tablescape together.

Cass @ That Old House said...

Hi Leigh!
Ah, prom dresses bring me back to my girls' high school days. I think by the time they graduated, they each had 6 or 8 gowns in their closets!

We always bought at deep discounts. Alida's favorite gown cost us $15.00 brand new at the clearance rack at JCPenney -- deep, DEEP discounts indeed! We saw the same dress at Lord & Taylor for several hundred.

When my girls were little and into playing "dress up" and also staging plays with friends, I would buy old gowns at thrift shops and they'd use those. You haven't lived till you've seen a 6-year old decked out in a heavy satin emerald green ball gown from the 60s.

Thanks for hosting!
Cass

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Leigh, It is amazing what prom dresses cost. A good friend's daughter spent $900+ for her dress. The parents paid for half and she had to work to pay the rest. Your dresses are wonderful and you can't possibly lose for $10.00 each. I would love for you to drop by and enter my giveaway for a $200 gift certificate.
xo, Sherry

Betty said...

I think it's great that you found those Prom dresses. In my city, they have an organization called Fairy Godmothers that collects donated Prom dresses and has a big sale once a year. Every dress is $10 and each girl gets to pick one. I had several throughout high school, and we traded them around. We used them for dances, theater, drama class, the symphony, weddings, photographs, all sorts of things.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

It is my bloggerversary and I am hosting a giveaway...stop by and enter.

Marie Anne said...

Love the dresses and yes, that's the way to go! There's no way I'd pay in the hundreds of dollars for a dress for a high school event, heck, I wouldn't even do it for a wedding!