Sunday, June 13, 2010

Flag Day...A Winner.... Plus a New One Time Carnival....

I don't know what it is about being barefooted in the clean white sand and smelling the salt in the air, but it sure nourishes my body and most importantly my soul. Last week I went on a family vacation. There were 12 of us, including my family as well as my brother and his family and my parents. We had a grand time at a new local for us, Inlet Beach Florida. I will be sharing much about it in the following days to come. You will not want to miss the tour I take you on!

We have always gone to Orange Beach because that is where my folks have had places, but this year we decided to branch out and enjoy a new beach, Inlet Beach. And I am in love with that area. Our vacation was bought and paid for far in advance of the oil spill and we were fortunate to have clean water and not a drop of oil in site while we were there. But I know it's coming. Or that was the predictions while I was there. It saddens me to no end.

I will be going to our place in Orange Beach next week for both work and pleasure. I plan to do some volunteering in clean up as well as visiting some good friends. I hope if you have beach plans on the gulf you too will keep your plans and visit and keep the good people of the gulf employed. The economy there is suffering. While there, take a day to do something worth while, volunteer. I  always find I get so much personally from volunteerism. Though my intentions are meant to help a cause, I always find it helps me too.

Today is Flag Day! Do something positive on behalf of this great nation we live in!

In honor or Flag Day...how about a FABULOUS FLAG crafty project?
I was shopping online recently and saw this flag pillow on the Pottery Barn website.




















(Photo by Pottery Barn)
I thought....I can make that! And so today, I bring you this post...how to create a fun pillow perfect for summer porches, perfect to celebrate our Independence, and perfect to add some color to your decor.

What you will need:
paints
paint brush
paper plates (I mix my paints on paper plates for easy cleanup)
a pillow  ( find a neutral pillow to paint directly onto, as I did)

I love the freestyle way of painting it on, very folk art and American!
"Fly" your flag in style!
God Bless our Flag. God Bless the Red, White & Blue.


Thanks to all who entered the CSN Stores $60.00 Giveaway. We had entries, and the winning entry chosen the good old fashioned way (Cutting strips of paper with each contributor, plus additional entry as necessary and putting into a big fish bowl). And "the winning catch" is ........Bobby Pins Boardwalk! Congratulations! Please email me your mailing address so I can pass it along to CSN who will mail your gift card! Let me know what you purchase!


My Friday post regarding the Miranda Lambert song also touched alot of you. I received several emails and comments of your childhood homes and how your childhood home "built" you. What a beautiful song, what a beautiful sentiment.  Scrappy Dee left a comment  about her grandmothers home and how meaningful and special that it was to her. She also suggested that I have a Mr. McLinky party where we could share our special house that built "you". I would love to hear a special memory of growing up in your special place, or perhaps it is your home now. Share photographs too!

We will have the "House that Built Me" Party on Friday June 18!!!!

I will post Mr. McLinky on Thursday night June 17th, following Thrifty Thursday. I hope to have the link up by 8PM, assuming there are no linky issues.  So, join me won't you, in sharing your special memories. Think of it as a progressive house  warming party. That's exactly what it is!

6 comments:

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

A beautiful flag pillow, Leigh.

I've thought about the beaches down your way and wondered how they are. It's wonderful you are volunteering for the cleanup. We know someone who works for an environmental cleanup company here. We heard he is down there. He cleaned up after the Exxon Valdez and during the Gulf War.

Mari said...

What a great way to spend time with family, and I bet some wonderful memories were made! Looking forward to Friday!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Leigh,
Thanks so much for coming down and helping out here on the ALABAMA COAST...as a local...this has been a VERY HARD time for all of us...please keep all of us in your prayers:)

Blessings,
Linda

Anonymous said...

So much in one post!!!! First -- THANK YOU. I am so thrilled to have won the CSN $60 giveaway! I haven't won anything in so long, I forgot how thrilling it is. Thank you so much. I will send you my address. Wonderful that you are going to keep you plans and visit the Gulf. I hear a lot of folks are canceling and what a shame economically, and a devastation to the beautiful beaches. I also LOVE THE FLAG PROJECT.

You have started my Monday off on a very exciting note. Now I'm going to go shopping at CSN.

Again -- thank you for offering the drawing! I will be feeling lucky all week!

janadec9 said...

I'd love to see your finished flag pillow!!

Sarah said...

Fun idea! I may try to make one of these.
Happy Flag Day! ~ Sarah