Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Thrifty Thursday #67, plus a Tablescape

Hi! It's Thrifty Thursday! I am your host, Leigh. Thank you so much for stopping by and additional thanks to those who also participate in Thrifty Thursday! I am most delighted to have you join in..for it's YOU who makes it a "show and tell party".

(You can click on any pictures for a closer view)

*Thrifty Thursday takes place each Thursday and is hosted here at Tales from Bloggeritaville, but the party is a progressive one, visit the links to see all the Thrifty Thursday links to see the thrifty treasures participating bloggers have to share.

*Don't forget to copy and paste the Thrifty Thursday logo button to your computer so you can add it to your side bar and your Thrifty Thursday post. That way visitors will know that your are participating in Thrifty Thursday.











Today's Thirfty Thursday is inspiration...what I am on the unt for at tag sales and yard sales this summer....Vintage linens, burlap and most notably flour sacks.
Why?
For one, I love these Pottery barn pillows, but I do not want to pay the price tag when I think they can be easily reproduced:





















Fabulous, yes?
Thats the Thrifty buys I am on the hunt for.

What treasures did you find this week?
**************************
Tablescape Thursday
Now, onto to Tablescape Thursday, which is hosted by Susan of Between Naps on the Porch.

I also participate in Tablescape Thursday on Thursdays in addition to Thrifty Thursday.  The host of that fun carnival is the Hostess with the Mostess...Susan of Between Naps on the Backporch. That's no lie or exaggeration, each week I visit Susan's porch and just long to be a guest at any of her tablescapes...especially those held on the porch.

Today and in the coming weeks I thought I would feature some tablescapes from landmarks in my hometown/city (metro) of Birmingham, Alabama. The photos are part of a cookbook called "Table of Contents" a cookbook by the Junior League of Birmingham. If you are interested in  purchasing a cookbook you can find more info online at their website: http://www.jlbonline.com/
Today's tablescape comes to you from one of Birmingham's most recognizable landmarks, Sloss Furnace.



Sloss Furnaces is a National Historic Landmark in Birmingham, Alabama in the United States. It was operated as a pig iron-producing blast furnace from 1882 to 1971. After closing it became one of the first industrial sites (and the only blast furnace) in the U.S. to be preserved for public use. In 1981 the furnaces were designated a National Historic Landmark by the United States Department of the Interior.

The site currently serves as an interpretive museum of industry and hosts a nationally-recognized metal arts program. It also serves as a concert and festival venue. Current plans call for a $10 million program of accelerated restoration and construction of a new, larger visitor's center. Sloss is quitea site to she, as haunting as she is. Visit her, and you can almost hear the stories speaking from beyond.

Join me on Friday for Foodie Friday at Plates and Places, where I will be dishing up some great dishes and recipes!

**Be sure to enter the giveaway for a $60.00 gift card to CSN Stores (shop online)  . For all the info and  to enter, click here.**

Are you missing post about my Family Circus?  Big Daddy is still tolerating my antics. You can find family post at Picture a day.


Thanks to all of you for stopping by and participating in today's Thrifty Thursday.
I am also linking today to Linda's Coastal Charm.

Please use Mr. Linky below to link up your blog. Please leave a comment after linking. I love to hear from you.I encourage you all to spread the love and visit the other thrifty Thursday participants, for that's what half the fun is. Aside from seeing a cool treasure it's making friends!
Thank you, all, FRIENDS! I appreciate YOU!
Thrifty Participants:

26 comments:

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Oh I love those pillows. I too think they would be fairly easy to re-create. Love the red! Thanks so much for hosting. Hope you are enjoying your week and have a fabulous holiday weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Kim said...

Hi Leigh! I just bought a beautiful grain sack pillow from Etsy. I did a post about it with the link. It was pretty reasonable. Thanks for the tablescape/history lesson! Btw, did you watch the Idol finale??? We were Team Lee over here!
xoxo,
Kim

Jeanne said...

Your drink photos made me thirsty. It's hot around here!

jeanneselep.blogspot.com

Anna said...

What awesome finds! :)

the cape on the corner said...

thanks for hosting. looking forward to seeing many thrifty finds!

Boogieboard Cottage said...

Hi Leigh,I've seen bloggers use freezer paper to stencil with on burlap pillows to get the Pottery Barn look for almost nothing. I really like your tablescape in location plans, fun! Mary :O)

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Your pitcher looks as if it's filled with something quite delightful!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Love the great pillows and would love that drink some time later today as it will hit close to 90 here!!

Debbie

The Style Sisters said...

OH yeah I want some of those pillows too! Lovely tablescape.

Amy said...

thanks for hosting another week!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Love the pillows...I'm on a pillow binge right now. First time linking up to your party and a new follower :)

Hansonpatch said...

The Sloss plant looks really interesting, and I love both the pillows and the glasses pictured in the tablescape. Particularly the glasses. I've never seen anything like them.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for hosting today! I hope you enjoy my ribbon corsage tutorial! Saves a bit of money, if you can make your own.

Life in Rehab said...

It's my first time here, and I think your blog is cool. I'll definitely be a regular!

I didn't see available HTML to nab your button, so I just copied it onto today's list of parties on my site. If that's not okay, let me know!

Cass @ That Old House said...

Hi Leigh -- Love linen pillows, flour sack too -- not too sure about burlap; that always seems a tad on the scratchy side for me!

Good luck in your hunt for the pillows you want -- make sure you share the pics!

See you for Foodie Friday.
Cass

Mrs. Paul said...

Thanks for letting me join in your fun. Love the pillows!
Dorothy

Prior said...

Those pillows are awesome... Love the red, but your right, what a price! Lezlee

Cat@BudgetBlonde said...

Hey there! I just posted about a great mid-century desk I found on the cheap! I am # 58!

Erin @ Crafts and Sutch said...

Found your blog through HoH! Too cute!

Kristin - The Goat said...

It is so incredibly interesting how some places become an eye sore and others become an historical center. I think the stackes and water tower are very cool!!

Kristin - The Goat

Shellbelle said...

I loved your Pottery Barn redo of the table and can't wait to see pillows after the hunt!

You know this is the first time I participated in NTT and I had a ball, I'll have to link up to yours on Thursday. I discovered so many great blogs today and got so many great ideas!

Joy@Thrifty Parsonage Living said...

I love the Pottery Barn pillow as well. See my post on how I made a knock off version of these :)

KimMalk said...

I want to add I like your new blog look ;).

Decorchick! said...

Please delete entry #69...I messed up my title but re-entered it! xxoo

Love your blog!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

After a couple of weeks of inaction, I'm thrifting with a vengence!! I love those boots.

Jessica said...

The pillows are adorable!