Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Thrifty Thursday #32 and a Tablescape

It's #32 of Thrifty Thursday!

Hi! I am your host, Leigh. Thank you so much for stopping by and additional thanks to those who also participate in Thrifty Thursday! I am most delighted to have you join in..for it's YOU who makes it a "show and tell party". I also participate in Tablescape Thursday the host of that fun carnival is the Hostess with the Mostess...Susan of Between Naps on the Backporch. That's no lie or exaggeration, each week I visit Susan's porch and just long to be a guest at any of her tablescapes...especially those held on the porch.

*If you do not know what Thrifty Thursday is or need more info on Thrifty Thursday you can go here.*Don't forget to copy and paste the Thrifty Thursday logo button to your computer so you can add it to your side bar and your Thrifty Thursday post. That way visitors will know that your are participating in Thrifty Thursday.

*Don't forget to link back here to Bloggeritaville on your post so friends of yours can go and visit new friends that are participating in Thrifty Thursday!Please be sure to link back to the host blog, Tales from Bloggeritaville, so your fellow bloggers who are participating today, will get lots of visits, as well.

*Please do not add your link below until your Thrifty Thursday post is actually published to your blog.Now onto Thrifty Thursday....

I mentioned on Tuesday my Saturday spent with my mom. We hit a huge neighborhood garage sale in Riverchase, and then went onto Culllman, Alabama for a day of antiquing and shopping.
I wanted to share my garage sale finds first. I found all of these at one garage sale....as well as ran into my sweet, sweet, and precious highschool friend, Amiee P...A great morning (Hey Amiee!)
I was thrilled to get these two lamps, both of which had a similarity to some Pottery Barn lamps, ones that I love but am to cheap to buy, take a look.

This one favors this PB lamp that retails for $199.00.

Of course, my lamp is smaller but cute as pie and cost all of $3.00.

This other lamp

also favors a PB lamp, that retails for $189.00 .

I love the numbers on the lamp, so I took my trusty paint pen...

and freehanded some numbers on the lamp.

Had I been more patient, I would've taken the time to pencil it out. I may spray paint it and stencil for a better more precise look. But, still...I got the look for $3.00! This lamp will go in J Smooth's bedroom.

Also at the same garage sale, I spotted this candlestick (please ignore the wires, lovely as they are.).

It's quite tall, measuring 24", it cost $5.00. I had plans for it. The look was fine, but didn't go with my decor, so I just took some white trim paint (the paint that has had me MIA on your blogs...I am still painting. One room turns into another room...and another....I am on a roll!)
I just dry brushed the paint on and rubbed around in the crevices.....

and wah-la....my new candlestick!

After the garage sales, Mom and I headed north to Cullman, making a stop at Southern Architectural Accents(see Monday's post). I LOVE this place! I could've to spent a fortune. But I didn't have a fortune, I had a budget. I came home with these 3 molding pieces at $4.00 each (that's them also in the after photo sitting by my candlestick).

I have yet to decide what I will do with them, but I liked their chippy paint and character. Any ideas on how to use them?

Today is also Tablescape Thursday hosted by the lovely, Susan of Between Naps on the Porch..

My favorite decor store is At Home, located in Homewood, Alabama. I have posted on AT Home many times. I really could move into the store, they have it all. I could do some serious damage to my bank account there, if Big Daddy didn't have me on such tight reins...and I had that money tree. For the next several weeks, I will be highlighting some tablescapes using dishes and tableware accessories from At Home.

Today's Tablescape is made from neutral tones, ones found in nature.
This tablescape is very natural.

Seagrass placemats, beachy tones of beige sand, turquoise water and white waves/clouds.
The glasses are all the same shape, but different patterns keep it interesting.

The centerpiece is candles int he same tones as the place setting, as well as an orchid in an earthy vase. A large mirror in the corner reflects natural light, making this table a peaceful place to enjoy a meal.


I invite you to stop by my food blog tomorrow for Foodie Friday!

Thanks to all of you for stopping by and participating in today's Thrifty Thursday. Please use Mr. Linky below to link up your blog.I encourage you all to spread the love and visit the other thrifty Thursday participants, for that's what half the fun is. Aside from seeing a cool treasure it's making friends!Thanks Y'all!LOVE!

The following blogs are participating in this Thrifty Thursday:




35 comments:

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Great finds - and I also love that table -- let me know if you find that money tree!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

love the candlestick...and I like your green lamp so much more than the PB lamp!! Lucky you...

Mari said...

I love your deals! You have such a way of spotting these things and knowing what to do with them!

Jane said...

I love your garage sale finds. I really like how you painted the No. 28 on the lamp...a simple project that really spruced the whole lamp up. I like the architectural pieces too...sorry, I'm brain dead right now and don't have any good ideas on how to use them. I'm sure some creative person will have the perfect idea (and then let me know what it is!)

Joan@anthinggoeshere said...

I love your whole post~ but I think I love your number lamp the best!

j said...

I really like your lamps. There is NO WAY I would pay that much (PB) for a lamp... even if I could :) Thrift runs deep.

The chippy molding pieces were great. Give your Mom a hug for me and tell her I would love to see her again sometimes.

And I'm sending a hug to you too :)

Embellished Bayou said...

Wow, great finds! And I love the numbering on that lamp. I'm linking up my post from earlier this week.

Sarah { abeachcottage } said...

I'm in, sorry I always forget all these different events, must write them down...

now I lurve that lamp, it turned out great, I am looking for a similar one on my garage saling

S
x

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

What wonderful treasures you've found! The green lamp is so beautiful, for $3.00, wow!! The candlestick is gorgeous and evan more so now that is painted. I love the architecual pieces. You will have to show us what you do with them.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Leigh,
That lamp for your son is perfect and what a deal! Love the table, has such a serene feel to it! Thanks for being our hostess with the mostest too! Cindy

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

You really did find some great treasures at the garage sale. Your two lamps really are wonderful and the price is perfect. The candlestick and the architectural pieces are also fabulous. You've put together a wonderful tablescape. It looks so serene and inviting. Love it. Hugs, Marty

Barbara Jean said...

Awesome lamp,
candle holder done white, and love the chippy pieces!!
Thanks for hosting,

blessings

barbara jean

Unknown said...

I love the #28. It looks awesome. Your table is very elegant to. Very pretty.

~Liz

niartist said...

Love the lamps, the tablescapes, the music. :) So glad I stopped by! :) I hope you can stop by and enter your name in the giveaway at Color Outside the Lines. I know you could do some fantastic things with the loot! :) Cheers!

Tootsie said...

you did a fabulous job making your thrifty finds look incredible!!!
don't ya just love paint?

Tootsie said...

I forgot to add that your table scape is just so inviting...not too fussy...just right!

Quiltpiecer said...

Love the lamps! Great finds and much nicer than PB ... love your blog and am learning to train my eye on great deals like these! Thanks for hosting Thrifty Thursdays!

xinex said...

Hi Leigh! I like your great finds and like how you painted the candlestick. Beautiful tablescape, looks kinda tropical and Asian, it has a very relaxed feel...Christine

Julie said...

love your post....what great finds.
I am having a give away so please do try to stop by...
xoxo
Julie

Keetha Broyles said...

I cannot believe it. I'm such a FAILURE this week.

We've had meetings after school (grrrr - - - keeps me here way too long) EVERY DAY this week, including last night and I PLUMB forgot all about Thrifty Vintage Thingies - - - I totally spaced it.

So, space ball won't be playing THIS week. I HOPE to GOODNESS I'll have my head out of the stars by NEXT week.

Ally's Corner said...

I love your lamps. I really like how you put numbers on one of them.

Ally

Kate said...

What great finds! I love the lamps, especially the number lamp!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Leigh, You are one clever woman! I like your lamp better than the pottery barn one.
♥, Susan

Old Time Cindy said...

Leigh,
Your candlestick and number lamp are fantabulous transformations!
Thanks for sharing!
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

Unknown said...

Love the lamps.

Denise Marie said...

Leigh, this is my first link in to your thrifty thurs. I've certainly seen plenty of blogs that have been doing it, so here I am. I absolutely love your post!! The lamps are scores! I wonder if your son is #28 on his sports team or what. :0) The table is perfect. love the diff glasses and the earthy feel. I think you should just add mossy/fall foliage to the chippy blocks for a scape right there where they are.

Anny said...

I like your lamps more than the originals - that green one is too cute! Nice revamp on the candlestick too :)

Cass @ That Old House said...

I LOVE that first lamp you got -- the swirly pottery one. It is so cool! GREAT buy. I love your thrifting adventures --you find such neat stuff. What fun to be able to go with your Mom, too.
Happy TT!
Cass

Linda said...

Wow, what great finds Leigh! I love both lamps but I'm so impressed with your freehand art skills! Putting the number on the second lamp just added so much personality to it. Great job!

Your tablescape looks so serene...I love everything about it!

Have a great weekend friend!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I love the mirrors in the background of the table! Always a good touch when reflection is involved. I saw those PB lamps. So pretty. But with such a price on them! Love what you did instead.
Brenda

Swampgirl said...

Better late than never!!! I have not had anything to share until today! I do love your new lamps, I'm on the hunt for some lamps for the guest room project. I'm going to email you a question!

Dawn said...

Love your potter barn knock offs!

I'm sorry I didn't get a thrifty post together for today. I planned on it but things got hectic.

Have a great weekend!
Dawn

Tracy said...

Did you visit Better Than Before consignment shop in Cullman? They are part of http://ConsignmentChic.com.

Unknown said...

Love the modern feel with lots of textures. Make it warm and inviting.

Jane said...

What marvelous finds!You have a good eye for spotting. And I love your tablescape...so simple, yet elegant. The bowls are wonderful!

Jane (Artfully Graced)