Sunday, July 12, 2009

I had such a nice weekend, though it was so short. My family and I went to Nashville for a mini family reunion. We had a nice time, had great conversation and ate some good meals. Sunday though, we quickly returned to Peg's bedside. She will move to a nursing home this week, which will be a great benefit. I must say, it is times like this that makes you realize so many things and puts so much into perspective....
1. Nurses rock. Words cannot even do justice other than to say they earn every dime they make and they don't get paid enough.
2. Drugs are good, but sometimes bad. My husband and I have had long discussions this past week while sitting at the facility on the downside of perscription drugs. Simply said, they are allowing people to live to long. They extend our time, but at what cost. I see that every day. It's not always good.
3. Be prepared. Talk to your family, tell them your wishes. No, it's not ever fun, but don't leave people guessing. Also-keep records of family history. Journal those fond memories, write down where the china came from, why it is sentimental, etc. Preserve those stories for future generations.
4. Family and Friends are the real treasures in life. I could have all the money in the world, but without them, I would be very poor. Material things do not make one rich, People do. And that is the only thing in life that really matters.
Thank you friends, once again, for your kind words & support.

6 comments:

Mari said...

You have a lot of wisdom in this post. #2 is so true. I was talking to the daughter of one of my patients a few days ago about this very thing. #3 is so important. We see too many family members struggling with guilt or arguing over what their parents would want. What can I say about 4? Amen!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers through this time of stress. I know the Lord is in control. Hugs, Marty

Kristin - The Goat said...

I knew you were out of town this weekend, but I was still waiting by your blog-side to hear an update.
Love to you and your family my dear. You are a wise wise friend. Thanks for sharing that wisdom with us.

Kristin

Bama Belle said...

Thinking of you praying for you. Let me know if I can help in any way

Jenny G said...

My grandmother was in a nursing home for the last 10 years of her life and it did her so much good to be surrounded by other people, for her spirit and her activity level. You are in my prayers.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I've been catching up on blogs and you...and Peg. :-( I'm hoping she and all of you find comfort. And yes; as the daughter of a nurse I can say they do rock. And this post rocks. As someone who lost my father, and who is watching my partner lose his mom to dementia...I couldn't agree more with everything you have here.

Hang in there. I know it's hard.