Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Recipe for Leigh's Head of Hair

I have had more than a few people email me asking for the recipe to my hair color. I am happy to share "the secret" but please, do not blame me if your hair falls out. In any case, DO share pics of the before and after. We can either cheer or laugh together.
This is the recipe for MY hair. Next time I will leave the purple package on longer and add heat, if you recall I had Freddy & Fabian Sanchez waiting for me. Two men that were not happy I had kept them waiting....
Ok, Here goes, shhhhh.......
I saved the bottles of the color I used because I would not remember had I not.



For the base color I used 1 bottle of L'Oreal Technique Excellence in light brown (neutral) to half of the bottle of crème (for the crème I used 30 but you could also use the 20 with same results. I think 30 gives a lighter color. I bought a couple mixing bowls and a brush to mix (but you could use a dixie cup or paper bowl and plastic spoon-never metal. You might blow your house up with metal. I don't know, I'm just saying....).


It looks like a gel after mixing and I parted and brushed onto each section (follow package).
After that process and washing and drying my hair was the cap. Let me recommend that you do NOT use the cap pictured...


Not only is it a little more, but it hurts like the devil. Next time I will go with the plastic disposable highlighting cap. Though it isn't as tight and the roots can be seen a little more it isn't near as painful. Tie it tight for less roots. On the mix, use the remaining half of the bottle to about half the envelope-mine was the violet envelope since my hair pulls red. The envelope says to mix the entire package, but I didn't. It isn't necessary unless you have really long hair it will cover. I will use the other half next time. But make sure you do not save any already mixed chemicals. That spells for disaster.
I bought myself a black plastic cape for 4.99 so it wouldn't get on my towels or clothes.
Ok, here is the secret part. I have for the longest time wanted the pink. Though Big Daddy rolls his eyes and my oldest son, Bama, thinks I have flipped my lid. Maybe I have. But I just think it is a little unexpected, a little fun. Like Jimmy Buffet says, "Growing older but not up..."
So I have wanted a little pink streak. Not anything bold, just a cast, if you will. I got to thinking about it, "Do I want to color my hair with pink and then have say, a wedding to attend and show up with pink hair. Or some professional event..." Probably not. I went back and forth with it. Then when I was in Sally's I found this hair color brush...


They have different colors. It washes out with each shampoo. So, I bought 3 different colors. A blond for touch ups, burgundy (because they didn't have anything more pink) and purple. I LOVE IT! I change my mind so frequently anyway so this is the coolest thing. It looks like mascara. It was found in the hair color section of my local Sally's Beauty Supply.


I hope all that info will lead you to a hair color that you like. Be sure to send pictures of before and after's. I will publish if you give permission. It's a revolution! I'll have you singing..."I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan AND color my own hair, just like a real WO-MAN! Cuz I'm-a woman....thanks to Leigh..."

10 comments:

Hewy Nosleep said...

It was like science but better!

Charnita said...

Man, can you save me 120 bucks?

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Hewy- I left out the best pic...of my hair being pulled through the cap. I look like one of those dolls that little girls get, the ones that are just a bust and you fix their hair. You see all those little plugs of hair....that is what it looks like pulled through a cap.

Charnita-Call me. We'll revolutionize your hair together. FUN! And yes, for about 10 bucks.

Terri said...

I'm coloring this week...about three weeks OVERDUE. I'll post my secret formula, but I get the professional stuff for cost and learned how to do it when i worked at the salon.

Keetha Broyles said...

Your hair is gorgeous. But that is A LOT of work. Here in the midwest I can still get mine done with a cut thrown in for about $50 - - - so I think I'll keep going to my stylist. I like visiting with her anyway - - - -

But yours is dynamite, I'll give you that!!!!

Tammy said...

Get outta here. I have a degree in chemistry and I'm pretty sure I am incapable of pulling hair coloring off.

It's just too bad that gray is not a distinguished look for women. I said I would never color, but then the gray set in.....*sigh*

Anonymous said...

Too cute- I'm a self hair colorer too- L'oreal Preference is my fren!

"J" said...

I love it! I really like the pink! =) It ROCKS!

Katie said...

Your hair looks GREAT! Will you just hop over here to my house and do mine? Pretty please?

I totally thought, at first glance, that was lip gloss, and you were putting pink lip gloss in your hair!!!! hahahahahahahahahaha!

And even if it had been lip gloss...your hair still looks awesome, and I would have followed suit! haha! :o)

Anonymous said...

Leigh - you must save a fortune coloring your own hair! How did you get the guts to do this yourself? And how do you know what colors to mix? I'm dying to know...