Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Thrifty Thursday #99 Plus a Tablescape!

Hi! It's Thrifty Thursday! I am your host, Leigh. Thank you so much for stopping by and additional thanks to those who also participate in Thrifty Thursday! I am most delighted to have you join in..for it's YOU who makes it a "show and tell party". I also participate in Tablescape Thursday the host of that fun carnival is the Hostess with the Mostess...Susan of Between Naps on the Backporch. That's no lie or exaggeration, each week I visit Susan's porch and just long to be a guest at any of her tablescapes...especially those held on the porch.

(You can click on any pictures for a closer view)

*Thrifty Thursday takes place each Thursday and is hosted here at Tales from Bloggeritaville, but the party is a progressive one, visit the links to see all the Thrifty Thursday links to see the thrifty treasures participating bloggers have to share.

*Don't forget to copy and paste the Thrifty Thursday logo button to your computer so you can add it to your side bar and your Thrifty Thursday post. That way visitors will know that your are participating in Thrifty Thursday.


First of all, I want to welcome our new Thrifty Thursday participants and Tales from Bloggeritaville followers. We have had several comment in the last few weeks, saying that they are new to the Thrifty Thursday party. I hope that everyone will make a point to pay a visit to other participants.

I got my new Ballards magazine this week. I immediatley started thumbing through it and came across these paintings....


Then I saw the price....
















$579.00  for the pair?
I think not.
Hey....it's just $299.00 for one.
Are you crazy?
Then I thought of two ugly painted canvases I picked up at the thrift for:

















A buck ninety eight.
It could work.
I painted them both with some white paint I had in my basement.
And then I did my best attempt at being a copy cat.
I intentionally wanted mine to also have that organic, natural look.
I made and left all my brush strokes.
And I took a paintbrush, dipped it in brown paint and "splattered" away.

















And then.....I hung them on my wall.
My artwork that a second grader could make.
I did.
You can too.
















A savings of $576.96.























You're welcome, Big Daddy.

And this, my friends, is my Thrifty Tablescape. A little color on these gray days of winter....



Can you believe we have had #99 Thrifty Thursday post???
I am planning a little something special for our #100 Thrifty Thursday Party. Plan to join in! It can be a new Thrifty Thursday post, or you can do a look back at your favorite TT post with links.


I invite you to join me tomorrow at Plates and Places for Foodie Friday.

Thank you for dropping my Bloggeritaville today! I have throughly enjoyed you visit. Please use Mr. Linky below to link up your blog. Please leave a comment after linking. I love to hear from you.I encourage you all to spread the love and visit the other thrifty Thursday participants, for that's what half the fun is. Aside from seeing a cool treasure it's making friends!

Thank you, all, FRIENDS! I appreciate YOU!
HUGS! Hope to see you tomorrow, but not before you leave some "roadmap" love!

Thrifty Participants:

25 comments:

The Charm of Home said...

You did a fabulous job on recreating those. I have often thought many things in those catalogs could be reproduced easily and cheaper. Like my books for example.
Sherry

xinex said...

I did not know you were an artist, Leigh. Great job copying the expensive paintings. Beautiful tablescape! I love the vivid colors......Christine

THE.PAINTED.STUDIO said...

I think your painting is wonderful. I remember seeing that painting too and I just loved it. Makes me feel like i could go paint one myself. What type of paint did you use? it looked as though your paint had texture.

Cheryl

www.paintedstudio.blogspot.com

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

The painting turned out beautifully!! There are many times I've looked and VERY pricey painting and though, "I could do that." but never did. Maybe next time I will. Thanks for the inspiration!
Patricia :o)

Tina said...

Good work on the paintings, you've got skills! :)

Our Seven Dwarfs said...

Thanks so much for the linky party. This is my second time.

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

wow, 99!!! awesome!

thanks for hosting!

Chandy said...

Nice copy job, Leigh! And for that savings, I'll grab some of those blank canvas that I have, too! I love those blue dinnerware, so pretty!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Bravo, Leigh! That's a great way to save. I'm sure hubby appreciates your "thriftiness"! ;)

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

That was one super-duper savings. You are the thrifting Queen today for sure. And they're purdy darn nice looking too!

Thanks for hosting Leigh.

Sharon@Keen Inspirations said...

I love a good copy! :) And you can't beat the price either!!
Thanks for hosting. I'll be back next week to celebrate "100" with you!

Kellie said...

Hi Leigh!
I'm new to your blog :) and new to blogging in general! I started blogging just this year in January and I hope to learn a lot from all of you experienced bloggers!

I linked up my ceiling fan update :) I hope you love it! It's soo much nicer.

http://sixtieshome.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-just-did-something-amazing.html

-Kellie

Little White House said...

Hi!
I'm new here as I discovered your blog by chance... But I was so glad to add my first link. Of course I will link back from my blog to yours (so don't be surprised if you have visitors coming from Europe!). Also, I'm always eager to read all the other's post: I'll do that while drinking my morning tea (it's breakfast time, here!)
Magali, from The Little White House

Cass @ That Old House said...

Hi Leigh!
I LOVE your tree knock-offs! My artist daughter Anne gave me a couple of canvasses and some paints last summer and I've yet to use them but I think you've inspired me.
I'll let you know!
PS What did you DO with all that money you saved? -- Cass

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh my goodness glory girl, the paintings are simply charmin'!!! Cheap too!!!

I'm of to visit the Porch but am so glad I dropped by. Quite the impressive line~up ya'll got there.

From the beautiful hills and hollers of the Missouri Ponderosa, ya'll have fun and a beautifully blessed day!!! :o)

Lynn said...

How will we know we have talent unless we try! You tried and you SUCCEEDED! Great paintings and fabulous "thrify-ness". Kudos to you, Leigh. Thanks for sharing and hosting today.
Best to you,
Lynn at Cottage and Creek

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Way to go! I think your "copies" are terrific. You are so clever. I like your colorful tablescape, too.
CAS

Mary said...

This is a very pretty table scape! I would like to invite you to link this up to my new link party, Masterpiece Monday, at Boogieboard Cottage. The link will be up all week. Take care, Mary :O)

Vintagesouthernlife said...

You did a great job on the paintings and look at the money you saved!
Unfortunately, I can't draw good "stick men."
This is my first time joining your party. Can't wait to see all of the creative posts.
Annette

Betty said...

A savings of 99.6%. I think that may be a record. Nice job. Thanks for hosting again this week.

The Single Nester said...

You did a great job on your artwork! Lovely!

Jenn said...

Hi! I'm new here, looks like I found some kindred souls who love the find as much as I do. I look forward to lots of Thifty Thursdays ahead. Take care, Jenn

Amanda Lee said...

Hi Leigh! thanks for hosting the hook- up! I've linked a bedroom concept for our beach house remodel. In case you are wondering what in the world is thrifty about that -- that is a good question :) Seriously, though I did all the conceptualizing using FREE software. (and the house itself was saved from the wrecking ball...)

Jane said...

Well done! I get some of my inspiration in Ballard and PB catalogs... One of my favorite paintings was inspired by a photo of a bunny hiding in hydrangea...it was on the cover of a Wisteria catalog.

Inspiration is everywhere...
Jane (artfully graced)

Cindy said...

Just stopping by to say hello to my sweet blogger friend. Hope you have a wonderful weekend! xo Cindy