Monday, January 5, 2009

I know, it really is TMI. But I hear its "Carb Withdrawals"

A new year. How are your resolutions coming along? I know. I am sorry, to all of you who cussed my name at the Ashley Macs Strawberry cake post. It was low, considering so many of you are on "diets" (quoting with my fingers and said in sissy speak). But the cake really good. I swear. Nancy, of North Carolina, who asked the question about shipping the strawberry cake, I am awaiting an answer to your question and will let you know as soon as I find out. I do know that they ship brownies at the moment. I know they were working up to the cake. I will be in touch, Nancy. I want you to try it.
As for me? Many, many years ago I "resoluted" not to "resolute". However, last night I resolved myself to a detox of sorts. Detox never sounds fun. And I am here to tell you that it is not. I am detoxing myself of carbs. Complex Carbs, people. CARBS. No. I am not touchy.....That is what I, as a vegetarian, pretty much live on. So now...I am resolved to eat a head of lettuce for two weeks. Not really. But I have promised to myself to just eat fresh vegetables and fruit (nothing canned or fried-of course that'd make a carb.). I am also limiting some nuts and cheese thrown in for protein. I have given myself a challenge of two weeks. I lived through day one without killing off any of the family members, as they soaked their crescent rolls in some delectable sauce in front of my nose. They obviously like to live on the edge. While I await for my system to begin it's "flush" mode, my only thought is that I would like to take their heads and flush....

Sorry. I got sidetracked.
I kid. I really am NOT going to go postal.

Before you ask, no. A resounding no. I am NOT on a diet. The word diet is not in my vocabulary. I would rather not here any comments on how you think it might should be. There is a reason diets start with the word Die. It's just not meant to be. It's unrealistic. Moderation is the term I like to use. It's a good term. It's friendly. It's livable. But I am doing the detox thing, as a bit of an experiment to myself.
In the meantime, I am thinking back to my delicious supper last night. The last time I had carbs. It was wonderful. Not so much the carbs, as good as they were, but the company. The company was the best part. Big Daddy, the kids and I met our friends, the Sanchezzzzzzezzz as well as another dear high school classmate that Big Daddy, Freddy and I went to school with, Robert S. and his beautiful wife and son.

(Notice how fullfilled I look after sharing a basket of chips and cheesedip with friends....)

We have made a pledge to make it a monthly date to get together. Life is short. Enjoy the folks around you, ya know. I guess that is something I learned a long time ago and continue to carry with me into each new year. Live, laugh, love as they say. That is my resolution, if there ever was one.
I do want to make mention, that the supper would have been much better had the always effervescent sister of the great Zinnia Warrior Princess, Zannyha, made our supper, but you take what you can get. Zinnia will do. (I big gigantic puffy heart you, Zinnia).
Speaking of siblings....and highly talented Sanchez', while I am on the subject, I do want to make mention once again of my friend Fabian Sanchez. Fabian and his also effervescent dance partner of Dancing with the Stars, Marlee Matlin have just kicked off the new tour of DWTS. Meaning, it just started. It will make a stop in a city near you. I highly recommend going. There are alot of the show's stars from the current season to seasons past. But I will not lie, Fabian and Marlee, in my opinion, are the show stealer's. DO, check them out. And as my friend, Travis, mentioned in a recent comment on my blog.....the new Dancing with the Stars season will start the second week of March. It will be interesting to see what stars are chosen....and what dancers they get paired with. Tune in.
And also tune into my next post.......
1. Will the family continue to eat french fries with stupid smirks on their faces.
2. Will Leigh cave in to the fresh loaf of sour dough bread in the pantry.
and finally
3. When will the system begin flushing?
Dun! dun! dunnnnnnn!

.....ok, you're right. TMI. This is what happens when kids and the husband hone in on my computer usage and I am left to type up a post after midnight....and when one is not given carbs. I promise my future post for the week will not have anything to do with cycles of any sort. Or threat to my family. Tomorrow is a new day...and I know that by then my carb withdrawls will most certainly will have subsided.
But I do have some fun post this week. They include fluffing. Waffle irons. And out with the new in with the old. Hmm?

Lastly, a HUGE congratulations to my friend, J of Musings from Left Field who became "officially" engaged over the New Year. Congratulations.

Have a great week, y'all! And if you see me eyeing anything made of flour, rice or potatoes- hit me upside the head with a hot baking potato. I hear that helps.

18 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Lower carbs in my food intake worked really well for me for several years. Then I started teaching full time, and couldn't plan/cook for myself any more, and then it just became too difficult to limit the carbs as much.

Now, I do try a bit for the moderation thing - - - - and have accepted a rounder look as being normal for me.

But the low carb thing will take the pounds off - - - good luck!!!

Kristin - The Goat said...

Since I learned of my Diabetes, I have found that carbs shoot my blood sugar so high that I just can't control it. So, no traditional carbs for me. I eat lots of broccoli!

I think it's good to change things up a bit and see how it makes you feel. I quit caffeine in 1992 and everyone thought I was crazy - I now sleep better than most everyone I know LOL

Enjoy your experiment, your detox, your cleansing.

Polly & Steve said...

I love DWTS, why did Marlee and Fabian get kick off the tour? Maybe I don't know what they do on the tour, is it a competition also? I cant wait till the new season is on.
Polly

Derek said...

We also began "low-carbing" again yesterday. At least I did. Evidently the UAB hospital cafeteria has these APPLE DUMPLINGS that my wife is unable to resist. The lady who carpools with her let it slip. So one of us is doing well....the jury is still out on my better half. :)

Good Luck to you!

j said...

I am not smart enough to call it moderation (much friendlier term)... I call it ADTKINS! Of course I eat meat along with the non carb veggies.

And I wait for my body to go into kitosis like a good little dieter, and then I wait for dumping syndrome (which can be almost violent). I lose the 4 to 6 pounds almost IMMEDIATELY that first week.




And then I binge like a crazy woman on carbs and gain it all back in a day.

I think it would be a good thing to do Adkins in moderation sometimes as I eat healthier. I just can't stick to ANYTHING for any real length of time.

(is this not the LOOOOONGEST comment already???)

You stick to you guns Leigh and do something healthy for you! And emotionally blackmail them if you have to - "If you really loved me you wouldn't eat that in front of me".

Glad you had fun with your friends!!

Valarie Lea said...

I forgive you for the Strawberry cake. :)

I agree why would anyone want to get onto something with the word DIE in it. I mean that is just wrong. So I am keeping to my Alternate Eating Plan in moderation. :)

tricki_nicki said...

Good luck Leigh! I'm doing no sugar until March 21st (my BFF is getting married and I'm helping her reach a goal), so I'm right there with you, cheering you on! No carbs is such a good goal...maybe I'll have to do it after no sugar! I guess that means then I get no carbs AND no sugar. Hmmm. That sucks.

Unknown said...

your giving up carbs??? OMGosh I wish I had your will power....thats all I am sayin....you go girl!

Glitter & Bliss said...

I'm thinking lots of chicken for 2009. I already miss my pasta. LOL...

Bama Belle said...

I am so proud of you and admire your dedication. Wishing you the best of success my friend!!!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Keetha-I sure hope it will take off the pounds. That will bring a huge smile to my face!

Kirby, like you I do not do caffine. For me, it is also a health reason...I have MVP. Occasionally I will get a pepsi if I go out to eat, but at home it is all caffine free.

Polly & Steve- I may have not worded that well. I meant they kicked off the tour, menaing started the tour. On the tour there is no judging, it is just a few of the favorite dance numbers being preformed by several of the dancers for all the previous years.
March 9th and we are back in business!


Derek- Apple Dumplings. Sounds serious. As in serious defeat. But tell her that tomorrow is a new day. Dont write her off yet! Good luck to both of you. It's good because you can hold eachother accountable.


Jennifer, I dont beleive you for a moment. You strike me as a very driven woman. I know you can do it too. And I love your long comment!~


Thank you Valarie for your forgiveness. Look, there are alot of us. I think we do need to hold eachother accountable. All of us.


Trickie Nickie- No carbs and sugar...someone wants a death wish. That'd be hard. You are a supportive friend to do that with yours. I should have picked sugar. I think for some reason that would be easier for me. I dont have much of a sweet tooth. Maybe next year.... Good luck TN.


Thank you Georgie!

Glitter & Bliss- Good luck to you. Let me know how you fair. I posted a chicken recipe on my other blog, Plates and Places.

Bama Belle- I am so happy for you and little Orren, first off! Secondly, thank you for your sweet words of support!

To all- you are all good friends....

Tammy said...

Yea, I need to give carbs up for, ohh, the rest of my life. I AM addicted. There I said it. Phew. I feel better.

Good luck to you on your no carb days.

Susan said...

I'm so sorry I blogged about Krispy Kremes today... but if you ate as many as I did last week with my friend who doesn't have on in her town.....
Anyway, good luck with the flushing... It's something I've been needing to do... get rid of the white stuff!
I'll pray for your family... I know how I get without that stuff!

Holly said...

I love carbs,...I live for carbs. I too am "resolving" to be a healthier me and giving weight watchers a try. (So, of course now all that I can think about is cake! :))

Anonymous said...

I can't do the no carbs things, and I think this is one of the first years in recent memory that I haven't made a "diet" resolution. I'm totally down for some cake. :) Your post cracked me up.

"J" said...

Girl....
Good luck with all that! =) I wish you the best!!!! THE BEST!!! THE BEST!!!! I also wish your family the BEST of luck!!! LoL

Mr S and I started a "NOT TO EAT SO MUCH MISSION"!!! I don't want to say the D word around you! lol

I'm cutting out sweet tea (which I love love love love love love almost as much as i love Mr S!), I'm also cutting out all soda and beer! I don't drink that much soda but the beer thing?!?! Well, I'm doing without till the cruise! HA! That will make me a cheap date on the boat! HA! We are also cutting back on what we eat at night! Oh and NO fast food! Well, once a week - we are getting cheese pizza Friday night! No more BIG weekend breakfast! =( We love Bis & Gravy! =(

I hope you are now not craving those foods like I am!

So wish us luck! We both want to drop 20 pounds by March 1st! I'm going to weight watchers today on my lunch break with a co-worker! 20 pounds or BUST...yeah...I will be busting out of a wedding dress if I don't drop those 20!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww and THANK you for saying a lil something about me!!! =) I love the linky love!!!

"J" said...

Girl....
Good luck with all that! =) I wish you the best!!!! THE BEST!!! THE BEST!!!! I also wish your family the BEST of luck!!! LoL

Mr S and I started a "NOT TO EAT SO MUCH MISSION"!!! I don't want to say the D word around you! lol

I'm cutting out sweet tea (which I love love love love love love almost as much as i love Mr S!), I'm also cutting out all soda and beer! I don't drink that much soda but the beer thing?!?! Well, I'm doing without till the cruise! HA! That will make me a cheap date on the boat! HA! We are also cutting back on what we eat at night! Oh and NO fast food! Well, once a week - we are getting cheese pizza Friday night! No more BIG weekend breakfast! =( We love Bis & Gravy! =(

I hope you are now not craving those foods like I am!

So wish us luck! We both want to drop 20 pounds by March 1st! I'm going to weight watchers today on my lunch break with a co-worker! 20 pounds or BUST...yeah...I will be busting out of a wedding dress if I don't drop those 20!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww and THANK you for saying a lil something about me!!! =) I love the linky love!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for checking on the strawberry cake.
Nancy in North Carolina